Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Watching, Breathing, Praying?


Who is watching whom?

This is a spy hop – surging up to allow a view of who is around and what is happening on the surface. It is curiosity and self protection, and awareness all wrapped up into one.

This barnacle encrusted Grey Whale is popping up to check us out. To look into a world were she cannot enter but for a brief moment. It is a curious thing that without this surface world, she would also not be able to breathe. She can plumb great depths on one solitary breath and scour the bottom for a meal, filtering through the sands. But soon she must again return to the surface were she cannot live for long at all, but from which she is inextricable linked.

I think of my prayer life like this. If I go too long without it, I weaken and suffer. I must return again to a work that is curious and interesting. Yet it is a world in which I cannot live. I too must dive back down into the realm of my daily existence. But Yes, I must not get too far from that place were I will, and must return to see what is going on and to Breathe, to look around and know my world better.

In the breathing there is life and broadened awareness, and so it is with prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

site visitor counter