Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Listen for when things "Click."

I was lost in my mid twenties, too much education and not enough “out in the world” life experience. As a part of my searching I remembered being a teacher’s assistant for 5th grade Sunday school when I was in High School. It wasn’t a great experience but I made a few connections with a couple of the kids and with the teacher. I wondered if teaching on my own would be meaningful, so I volunteered. I was quite unsure of how it would all go. The only opening was in the 4,5 and 6 year old class, so I volunteered for that.

As I got into the class a few weeks I discovered that I wasn’t thrilled with the curriculum. So I began to experiment with what was working with the kids. Things like sharing time were fun. Turns out not many people had time to listen to the kids, so when I did, they loved it. We built upon that and began to pray together after sharing time. We prayed like God was a big brother or sister we idolized, who looked after us.

We would play games that explored the lesson for that class; we had snack time and show and tell. It was a great experience. Parents began talking to me about their children’s sharing about class. Turns out our playing and sharing in class was opening the children up to sharing with their parents. “Click” I thought to myself. I still hear from the parents of two of those children. The kids are married and have kids of their own these days but they still remember that Sunday morning time together.

Mark 10:13-16

13People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

Prayer:

In each of us O Lord, you have given the gift of reaching and touching a few special ones that you wish to draw near to you. Allow us to be the heart and hope thorough which others will draw near to you. Let us offer ourselves to your service until where hear the “click” of your unlocking our lives. Because of the life of Jesus and in his name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

site visitor counter